Monday, March 26, 2012



13I do not consider, brethren, that I have captured and made it my own [yet]; but one thing I do [it is my one aspiration]: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
    14I press on toward the goal to win the [supreme and heavenly] prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward. (Phil. 3:13-14, AMP)
“But One Thing I Do”
Paul declares that there is one thing, but this one this is comprised of three parts.
1.      “Forgetting what lies behind” is the requisite for advancement. Paul is saying that he is not looking back at past failures or accomplishments. To become engrossed in the past produces adverse affects. Whether fixation on the past is focusing on the negative or the positive the result is the same; failure to advance. We have all seen those that can’t move forward for recalling all the wrongs they’ve endured or the failures that continue to haunt them. Then there are those that can’t stop talking about the big deal they closed 10 years ago, or the great career of the past. Paul was saying. I could easily find myself weighted down by a guild complex from my days as the chief persecutor of the church, or I could become arrogant thinking of all of the miracles I worked or the ground I’ve gained. However, the reward is before me and so I press on.

2.      “Straining forward to what lies ahead” is Paul saying that my focus is on what is ahead. I refused to get caught up in yesterday because my destiny lies in obtaining the prize and the prize is before me.



3.      “I press on toward the goal” or “I press toward the mark”. Is Paul saying that there is a greater calling. There is a greater purpose. There is this destiny for which he was created. He presses to obtain this ultimate prize.
Paul understood that he had not yet obtained the prize, but he was determined to maintain his focus and to move forward in progression toward the goal.


I encourage you to do the same. 


Be blessed,


Bishop Rick Wallace
http://RickWallaceMinistries.com
http://RenewingYourMind2012.info

No comments:

Post a Comment